When choosing an accountant for your small business, there are a few key factors to keep in mind. Perhaps most importantly, you’ll want to find someone who specializes in working with small to medium sized businesses, and understands what it takes to grow and scale at that stage. This way, you can be sure they’re familiar with the unique challenges and opportunities that come with running a growing company that lacks the resources of a large scale business.
Other important factors to consider include their location and whether they have experience with businesses in your industry.
If you’re based in a smaller town or city, it may be more difficult to find someone with specific industry experience, but it’s still worth considering as it can be helpful to have an accountant who understands the unique nuances of your business.
For example, our firm, BSM Accounting Services is based out of Clifton, New Jersey. We specialize in tax services, bookkeeping and tax planning for small to medium sized businesses across a variety of industries:
- Accounting for Pharmacies
- Accounting for Medical Practices & MRI Centers
- Accounting for Law Practices & Legal Firms
- Accounting for Construction & Contracting Companies
No matter what industry you’re in, it’s crucial that you partner with an accountant who is familiar with your industry and can provide unique insights and guidance on how to grow your business and maximize your tax savings.
What to consider when choosing an accountant
When it really comes down to it, here are a few core considerations to run through:
– Pricing: Most accounting firms will charge by the hour, but some may offer monthly or annual flat fees. Be sure to ask about pricing upfront so there are no surprises down the road.
– Availability: Find out how available your accountant will be and what methods they prefer to use for communication (e.g. email, phone, in person). This is important to ensure you’re on the same page from a logistical standpoint.
– Location: Based in a smaller town or city? It may be more difficult to find someone with specific industry experience, but it’s still worth considering as it can be helpful to have an accountant who understands the unique nuances of your business.
– Referrals: Ask for referrals from other business owners or professionals in your network. This is a great way to get first-hand insights into an accountant’s work style and business acumen.
Choosing the right business accountant doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By keeping these key factors in mind, you can be sure to find someone who is a good fit for you, and your company.
If you’re looking to start a business in NJ , check out our recent blog post
Ready to choose an accountant?
Finally, take the time to meet with a few different potential candidates before making your decision. This will give you a chance to get a feel for their personality and whether you think they’d be a good fit for your business. Trust your gut on this one – if you don’t feel comfortable with someone, it’s probably not worth working with them.
At BSM Accounting Services, we pride ourselves on being a boutique firm that provides personalized service to each and every one of our clients. We understand that no two businesses are alike, and tailor our services to fit the specific needs of each client we work with.
If you’re looking for a business accountant in Clifton, New Jersey, or the surrounding area, we encourage you to contact us today to schedule a consultation. We’d be happy to answer any questions you have and discuss how we can help your company grow.
We hope this article was helpful. If you have any further questions or would like to learn more about our firm, please don’t hesitate to contact us.